Friday, April 26, 2013

Unrealistic expectations

Knitters have no idea of time.  We really don't.  We think that we can knit a beanie overnight,  or a jumper in a week. We start to calculate stitches per minute and work out how many inches we can "whip up" in an hour. Sometimes we're asked to knit something for someone else and we think "Pffft! Two hours, if that!".

Knitters are the most delusional of crafters.


I thought I could knit Marcus a new beanie overnight. I started Wednesday afternoon, but by the end of the night I had only four of the eight inches I needed before the decrease (feel free to create your own joke here). Yesterday was Anzac Day here, so a whole day off to knit? Bliss! However, I've been pretty sick the last few weeks, and I was wiped out yesterday by a headache so I spent most of the morning sleeping. I took the knitting to my nephew's birthday party in the afternoon but spent most of the time there trying to stop Dorothy eating an entire orange, including the peel  (failed miserably, by the way). When we got home I went straight back to bed to nap, so the evening was a write off. When in doubt, revise the pattern.

I've decided the beanie doesn't need a turn up, so now I only need to knit another inch before the decreasing starts. So there's an excellent chance I'll have it all done by tonight. Absolutely.

Two hours, if that.

2 comments:

Sonia said...

Thank you! I thought it was just me. It also doesn't help to have friends who can knit like the wind…

Celia said...

I agree with Sonia. Some of my bloggy friends can whip out a project so fast.