Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Life is far too short

My Christmas present from the lovely Felix was three sets of Knit Picks metal double points. I requested the metal after I sat (yet again) on a 2.5mm bamboo double point which broke up the set of five, as I had had to turf one of them earlier due to splintering, plus we all know that the Knit Picks are fabulous to knit with.

I asked for 2mm, 2.25mm and 2.5mm, as I knew of a few sock patterns I wanted to work on. Now, I hate knitting socks. I know it's weird, as I keep knitting them, but I really don't enjoy it. Too many teeny stitches for far too little effort. That and I get very tired of people saying "You do know you can buy socks, don't you?" (They generally don't like my open-mouthed shock of "No! Are you kidding me? I had no idea!"). I am a complete sucker for sock yarn though - I can't stop buying it!

Felix likes handknitted socks, quite a lot. I don't know if they're more comfortable or if it's the smug happiness that they were created solely for him, no idea. But love them he does, so when I opened my 2.25mm packet up on Boxing Day night I cast on a pair of socks he's wanted for a while, the "Look Sharp" entrelac socks from "Son of Stitch 'n Bitch".

The b-word was used quite a lot a few days later when I came to the heel. The pattern is completely out of wack, asking you to do something you can't possibly and then re-arranges the two colours in a way that makes no sense. I looked up on Ravelry, and there was no errata listed, unless you count a few comments asking how to fix the mistake in the heel pattern.

If you don't know me all that well I'll explain something: I'm actually quite clever, really I am. I'm also the person other people ask when they can't read a pattern because I can interpret them really easily. I've knitted entrelac socks before and that pattern was unbelievably perfect. This pattern, however, sucked.

I have other things I want to knit. I have projects to finish, new ideas to try and trying to fix someone else's mistakes takes up valuable time. So instead I cast on "Treads" from the same book with some yummy mottled green from The Sanguine Gryphon and settled down on New Year's night with Felix and my true love, Cary Grant, on tv.










Oh and I may have cast on the ribbing of the entrelac to tight anyway - Felix couldn't get it past halfway up his foot! Now that's a real sign that I should just give up on them.

3 comments:

Leonie said...

Frog them, then go find the entrelac pattern you have used before and use it again. Don't waste your time fixing someone else's mistakes, but perhaps email them to let them know there are some?

Sonia said...

Entrelac… you're making me quiver!

Give up on the pattern, it sounds rubbish to me.

Celia said...

Beautiful socks!