Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Indecision

Another sticky day here in Melbourne, forcing all thought of actual knitting out of my mind. Instead, I turned to the website I dubbed "crack for knitters" within a week of joining: Ravelry.

All of the current most popular patterns are for the northern hemisphere: cowls, cardigans, blankets, cowls, shawls, hats or cowls (Enough with cowls! They make everyone look like a no-neck rugby player - do not wear them!). I need something small and light and easy to knit in a Melbourne summer that isn't a lace shawl. I have a baby in the house and my ability to follow a lace pattern decreases the longer I'm awake.

(Yes, I know I'm knitting the Treads socks, but I'm past the heel and Felix has really long feet and that much stocking stitch more than an inch at a time will destroy me.)

Maybe I should knit something from my Rav queue? It's at 4 pages now, and that's a bit long for me (Chantal cut hers back to 9 pages, and I'm very proud of her), so I had a look. For someone who hates knitting socks, I have an awful lot of them in my queue. Ditto shawls. Baby stuff too. I really must start knitting stuff for me.

This doesn't really help me decide - what does one knit during a season where the humidity makes your pattern crinkle from the air? When the idea of wool makes you itch, then what?

2 comments:

Gidgetknits said...

I started knitting pigs in wigs and mittens... I know, it makes no sense at all. Part of me is ready to give up and just knit dish cloths for a couple of weeks!

Gidgetknits said...

You could knit, for example: http://www.entropyhouse.com/penwiper/who/dalekcloth.html