Saturday, February 13, 2010

Knitting Olympics - Day 1 Results

Whilst the Yarn Harlot may advocate the use of caffeine and chocolate, here at Let Me Knit! we highly encourage the use of other stimulants to get through the Knitting Olympics. Did you know that three apple juice icy poles crushed up with vodka tastes really good?

Anyway, I cast on the Skew sock thinking how this would be a major challenge. It is a complex pattern, but once you get down to brass tacks, it's just beautiful. The use of left and right leaning decreases makes me smile and I try and explain the brilliance of it to non-sock-knitters (my mum and my husband) but they don't understand why it's so much fun.














I'm using a fantastic yarn that Chantal gave me as a present, the occasion being that she thought I'd like it (understatement!), and with a name like "Snow White and the Seven Stitches" I really do love it. See? It's the same colours as Disney's Snow White. How cool is that? It's made by Biscotte and Cie and you might like to look at her beautiful sock yarn. Amazing stuff and I'm tempted by the Nemo yarn...

My brilliant plan to not let Felix tell me off for putting myself under this amount of pressure failed last night when he asked me what I was knitting and I told him. He doesn't "particularly mind". So much for the secrecy part of the plan. But if I hadn't told him, then I wouldn't have managed this picture:














Squishie is a bit unsure about how to knit a sock with a single circular, but we think he'll figure it out.

3 comments:

Sonia said...

I totally queued 'Skew' too. It looks amazing, can't wait to see yours when it's done… how many more days to go?

yarnivorous said...

My bad! I've been ignoring you! Rather belated congrats on the arrival of Marcus - he looks lovely!
Skew is in my queue too or it should be...

Gidgetknits said...

Oh, icy poles and Vodka... sounds good! Good luck with Skew!